Family Dentist Methuen | The Importance of Flossing
Dentist Methuen Importance of Flossing

Dentists in Methuen Discuss Consequences of Forgetting to Floss

Your dentists in Methuen want to be sure that you are flossing every day. There are very serious health risks for those who do not floss at least once a day. Brushing cleans about 65% of your mouth, but flossing is what cleans the remaining 35%.

 

Steps to healthy teeth and gums:

 

The first step towards a healthy mouth is to floss at least once a day. Flossing helps to remove plaque and bacteria stuck between the teeth and along the gum line. Not only will flossing help to prevent cavities and dental decay, but it will also help to prevent gum disease as well. Be sure to ask your dentists in Methuen if you are not sure the proper way to floss.

 

Once you have flossed, brushing your teeth for at least two minutes is the next step. Flossing should be done once a day (at least), and brushing twice a day. You should floss before you brush so that the bristles can reach between the teeth better.

 

What happens if you don’t floss or if you forget to?

 

It is important to do your best to remember to floss. If you do not floss you are at an increased risk of developing periodontal or gum disease. Gum disease can lead to many other issues and eventually tooth loss. Not only that, but those with gum disease are twice as likely to experience coronary disease compared to those with healthy gums.

 

If you experience any signs of gum disease it is important to contact your dentists in Methuen as soon as possible. Catching it at an early stage can be extremely beneficial later on. Usually, if caught at an early stage, the damage is reversible.

 

For more information on how to properly floss, how to improve your dental health, and how to avoid gum disease contact your dentists in Methuen by calling (978) 683-3343 o schedule an appointment.

 

Next Related Blog: 5 Tips to Avoid Plaque